Procedure for Exemption Requirements
Application for the exemption of conformity assessment for imported broadcasting and communications equipment
Anyone who wishes to import broadcasting and communications equipment exempt from the conformity assessment must first apply for the confirmation of exemption through the Korea Customs Service UNI-PASS service.
Scope of equipment exempt from the conformity assessment
Enforcement Decree of the Radio Waves Act Article 77-7 (Exemption from Conformity Assessment) Paragraph 1 [Table 6-2]
Equipment which may be exempt from the conformity assessment under Article 58-3 Paragraph 1 Subparagraph 1
- Equipment of which purpose of use is limited to testing for conformity assessment or quality and performance evaluation of products/ up to 10 units
- Equipment of which purpose is limited to research and technology development in the field of broadcasting and communications/ up to 1,500 units
- Equipment of which purpose is limited to promotional displays and not for sale, etc.
- Equipment of which purpose is limited to international conferences, international competitions, and etc and not for sale.
- Equipment of which purpose is limited to samples for domestic market research and not for sale/ up to 3 units
- Equipment brought in for a certain period to be used by foreign technicians as needed in the domestic industries
- Parts or components, identical to the original, imported for the manufacture or maintenance of certified equipment
- Equipment manufactured or imported for use in the military
- Equipment imported not for sale and only for personal use/ 1 unit
Equipment exempt from conformity assessment under the Radio Waves Act Article 58-3 Paragraph 1 Subparagraph 2
- Equipment not manufactured for domestic demand, but exclusively for exports
- Equipment imported for the purpose of re-exportation or delivery overseas
- Previously exported equipment brought in for a certain period for the purpose of repair or maintenance
- Equipment manufactured or imported to be used exclusively overseas
Public Announcement on Conformity Assessment of Broadcasting and Communications Equipment Article 18 (Radio Waves Act Article 58-3 Paragraph1 Subparagraph 1 Item (j), Enforcement Decree Article 77-7 attached Table 6-2)
Equipment imported for the purpose of installation on ships to be exported, equipment installed on the ships and aircraft introduced, leased and chartered from foreign entities and equipment identical to such to serve as a replacement
Wireless equipment imported not for sale and for the purpose of use for individuals to manufacture or assemble amateur wireless stations
Computers assembled from parts which have undergone conformity assessment (attached Table 2 Paragraph 6 and Subparagraph 3 Item (c), given that they provide instructions for consumers in compliance with the attached Table 6)
Enforcement Decree Article 77-7 Paragraph 1 [attached Table 6-2]: Equipment under Radio Waves Act Article 58-3 Paragraph 1 Subparagraph 1 Item (i), Subparagraph 2 Item (a), Subparagraph 4 and Public Announcement Article 18-3 are not subject to application for the exemption from conformity assessments.
Access Korea Customs Service UNI-PASS at http://portal.customs.go.kr.
Sign-up using the National Public Key certificate.
Inquiries about signing up : Korea Customs Service e-Customs Support (+82-1544-1285)
Single-window customs → Application → Fill out the application form → Select National Radio Research Agency (Application for the confirmation of exemption from conformity assessment) and attach the required documents as specified below
Fill out the application form for the equipment exempt from the conformity assessment(attached Document No.12) at the Korea Customs Service UNI-PASS application page.
Document proving reason of exemption: document that proves the reason of exemption such as a test research proposal, export contract, delivery contract, statement, etc.
Documents showing the item and quantity of imported goods: import contract, sales confirmation document, cargo invoice, etc.
Importer: Fill out the information of the person importing the equipment at the request of the client
Client (Applicant): Fill out the information of the person who is to use the imported equipment
Equipment: Fill out the information of the equipment exempt from the conformity assessment
Customs Specification: Fill out the name of the customs that the equipment is to go through
Reason for Exemption: Fill out the exact provision between Radio Waves Act Article 58 and Public Announcement Article 18 exempting the equipment from conformity assessment
Exemption Number: Leave this blank for the institution to fill out.
Post-market surveillance institution: Leave this blank (Equipment filed for exemption can be inspected by the CCAC to check that it is being used as supposed to and anyone who uses it for purposes other than registered for can face penalties)
Things to Consider
Please attach the documents as a PDF or image file and fill out the information of the equipment (name of the model, quantity, price, HS code, etc.) correctly.
If the information is not correct, the equipment will not go through customs.
Regulations on the exemption from conformity assessment Download MS Word File
Time it takes to process the exemption: one day
How to complete the declaration of compliance (post-market surveillance) after being confirmed for exemption from conformity assessment
The person importing equipment exempt from conformity assessment must follow the requirements and submit the proof and declaration form to the National Radio Research Agency. (Example: Confirmation of exportation or document proving proof of exportation, document confirming that the equipment is used as declared, confirmation of the abolition of use, etc.)
Declaration Form for the exemption from conformity assessment Download MS Word File
Supporting legislation: Public Notification [Public Announcement by Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy No. 2016-107] Article 21 (Declaration of fulfillment of the requirements for exemption)
Submission method: email (email@example.com)
Please submit the declaration form and document of proof for post-market surveillance.
Inquiries: CCAC Post-market Surveillance Division +82-31-644-7533(4)